Entered New Sanctuary in 1979
Historic Walk from Williams Elementary School 1979
New Hope Missionary Baptist Church was organized in February, 1950 by Rev. J.G. Washington and a few members who had left Greater St. John Baptist Church on Cass Street. The organizational meetings took place at the home of Sister Rozelia F. Williams. Her home was located in the Ybor City district of Tampa. It was at one of these meetings that the name “New Hope”, suggested by Sister Rozelia Davis, was chosen. Everyone approved the name because it spelled out the very thing they were searching for.
From that day forward they put their trust in God and began believing that there was New Hope under the leadership of Rev. J. G. Washington. Services were also held at the Pallbearers Hall, the home of Brother Goins, and the Lily White Temple. While worshipping in these locations, funds were raised toward the construction of the edifice (Sister Rozelia Davis gave the first $25) which was eventually built in Ybor City, corner of Fourth Avenue and Eleventh Street.